When you’re raising a family, your own wants and needs often take the back burner to those of your children or partner. Unfortunately, this often goes out the window along with your free time to shop, accessorize, and create outfits that make you feel great about yourself. But looking good helps you feel good, and feeling good makes you approach the world from a place of confidence and poise. Luckily, it’s not difficult to look like a million bucks, even when you’re shopping on a frugal budget. Below are some easy, helpful fashion tips to make you feel great about the way you dress.
- Accessorize! Nothing spices up an outfit more than gorgeous accessories. They need not be pricy to look fabulous – sometimes the best bangles, scarves, or headbands can be found in stores’ sales sections with clearance price tags on them for $1, $2, or $5. Start a collection of hats, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, scarves, watches, etc. to draw from when you get dressed every morning. Goodness knows we’re all in a hurry to throw on some clothes and make it out the door, but a couple of accessories thoughtfully added to an outfit will make you look more put together.
- Shop at discount stores. Places like Marshall’s and Ross are excellent places to find brand-name clothing at rock-bottom prices. You might have to do some digging to find pieces that look chic, but there are plenty of well-made, classy clothes for the finding. Many designers and major department stores send their leftover, unpurchased goods to stores like this, and there are unbelievable deals on designers like Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, and Tommy Hilfiger.
- Find a fabulous, good-for-everything purse. Women’s purses are a catch-all for everything – phone, wallet, the mail, makeup, paperwork, you name it. But finding one versatile purse that matches any of your outfits and that is the right size for your needs will make all the difference in your fashion style. Rather than spending a bunch of money on several purses and have to hassle with switching between them, buy one solid well-made purse that you will last you a long time, and that you’re confident will accessorize well with most of your wardrobe.
- Become a thifting fashionista. You can find amazing things at thrift stores! And thrifting is half the fun – sifting through racks, digging through bins, and trying on funky things lets you explore and push your fashion boundaries without breaking the bank. Look for statement pieces and accessories especially. The best part about thrift stores is that you’ll buy and wear things that no one else is wearing because they aren’t this season’s rage at all the stores. Thrifted clothes will set you apart, and won’t make a sizeable dent in your pocketbook.
- Wear shoes that make a statement. Even if the rest of your outfit is neutral, plain, and ordinary, wearing a pairing of fun shoes makes all the difference. Whether it’s the color, fabric, heel height, peep-toe, having fun shoes makes you feel fun! Check out stores like Payless, Target, Cathy Jean, DSW Shoes, JC Penney for great shoes at low prices.
- Layer your clothes for added dimension. Layering doesn’t even require that you buy anything new – it just requires that you play with fun combinations in your closet that you might not have worn before. Instead of walking out of the house in a tshirt and jeans, throw on a cute cardigan, bright necklace, funky bracelet, and pretty scarf. Put on a pair of leggings under your skirt, or a vest over a button-down. This will add depth and dimension to your outfit, and you will look “styled” without looking over-done.
- Shop the sales racks. Half-yearly sales, Black Friday shopping, and clearance sales are a great way to get high-end clothes at discounted prices. If name-brands are important to you as well as cheap price tags, then you should stick exclusively to sales racks. If you see something at full price that you absolutely love, odds are that in one to two months, you’ll see it on the sale rack. Be vigilant and check back in to see when the store is shifting between seasons to score great pieces that are a steal.