by Jason Anderson (One of Frugal Mom’s frugal teens!)
The holiday season is a time when many of the best video games for 2014 go on sale. This is also a time for major new game releases. With so many choices, what are the best video game gift ideas for your teen? Without further ado, here is my Top Ten Best Video Games 2014 List, just in time for Christmas.
1. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare: This is the first call of duty game I’m actually excited about in a while. Its got a new graphic engine that brings a whole new graphical light to this impressive FPS game (First Person Shooter). Plus this game underwent a 3 year development cycle which is 1 more than what they have in the past so you can expect some petty crazy and off the wall developments that you didn’t see in other COD games; like the new exosuit which adds a lot more depth into already excellent gameplay.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition: Currently available for: PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
2. Assassin’s Creed: Unity: Assassin’s Creed: Unity is the 5th major chapter in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, it boasts great graphics and a wide open sandbox type world. I think this will be a great game for only those who enjoy the franchise, but perhaps not as a first Assassin’s Creed game. Although this game will give you easily 30 hours of game play it did not perhaps live up to the other games in the series.
- Assassin’s Creed Unity: Currently available for: PS4, Xbox One and PC.
3. Halo: The Master Chief Collection: This is a collection of older games that have been remastered for the Xbox One, all on one disc, and includes:
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo 2
- Halo 3
- Halo 4
… plus all multiplayer modes and add-on content for each game. If your teen loves Halo, this is a must have! They will love playing their favorite Halo games again with greatly improved visuals, sounds, and multi-player.
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection: is a Xbox One exclusive.
4.Super Smash Bros. Wii U: The Super Smash Bros. franchise is one of Nintendo’s most beloved franchises, and certainly one of my own as well. Super Smash Bros. on Wii U may be the biggest games on that system yet, with 50 playable Nintendo characters, 83 stages and a ton of new items. This game makes the perfect gift for anyone who loves these beloved Nintendo characters.
- Super Smash Bros. – Nintendo Wii U: Currently available for Wii U and 3Ds
5. Destiny: Hands down, Destiny is my personal favorite game for 2014, and aside from Dark Souls, it’s my favorite game of all time. It offers well over 200+ hours of gameplay, has great replay value, and is best when played with friends. The Destiny franchise offers a 10-year game cycle, far above other games. This open world FPS looter shooter game is a great game for your teen or players of most other ages.
- Destiny: Currently available for: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, and PS3
6. Dragon Age: Inquisition: I’ve had my eye on this game for awhile because Dragon Age: Origins was an amazing game. However, Dragon Age II was a major let down compared to Origins, but this game looks like it will surpass both games put together. It boasts a 50 hour main quest line and 100 hour side quests. They also changed their game engine to frostbite 3 which provides much better graphics and much larger maps
- Dragon Age: Inquisition: Currently available for: PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC
7. Far Cry 4: Far Cry has been a really good first-person shooter game since the first one came out. I have great expectations for this, the fourth in the series. While Call of Duty is a great choice for multiplayer, it’s hard to beat the single-player mode in the Far Cry series.
- Far Cry 4: Currently available for: PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC
8. LittleBigPlanet 3: I’m always happy to have more young content on non-Nintendo machines. Both Microsoft and Sony have too few offerings in this regard. LittleBigPlanet is an inventive, cute, and challenging game that is probably the best of its type on Sony systems. This game is good for teens and great for young kids.
- Little Big Planet 3: Currently available for: PS3 and PS4
9. Dark Souls 2: As a great fan of the souls series (Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Dark souls 2.) I can highly recommend this game as a tough RPG (role playing game) with great story, interesting gameplay, and great player vs player experience . Although it is not the strongest game in the series, it is by no means a bad game. It offers 100+ hours of gamplay, mass replay value and has a wonderful co-op experience.
- Dark Souls II: Currently available for: PS3,PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC
10. Five Nights at Freddie’s 2: It was not too long ago since Five Nights at Freddie’s was made, and now due to popular demand, a second one was made. It has grown to be one of the best horror games this year as well as the top selling game on Steam. Your role is that of a night guard at a scary, messed-up version of Chuck-E-Cheese, called Freddie’s. The goal of the game, as in the original, is to survive 5 nights at Freddie’s. I say survive because the robotic mascots come and try to kill you. This is a great game for older teens, but not one I would recommend for kids or young teens.
Five Nights at Freddy’s: Currently available only for PC
I hope you enjoyed my Top Ten Best Video Games 2014. Merry Christmas!