Your family will love homemade egg rolls that you can serve fresh, or you can make them as a once a month cooking or freezer meal!
Recently my library had a book sale and I got some really great cookbooks. One of them was called Oriental Cookbook and while the cookbook has great recipes, the true treasure was found in some papers the previous owner had folded inside the cookbook. The papers were recipes from a class on Oriental cooking and I now have pages filled with the most delicious authentic recipes. Since then I have turned the recipes into freezer meals and the taste is out-of-this world!
My favorite by far is the recipe for Egg Rolls. When you make them you have 2 freezing options:
- Freeze the filling before making the egg rolls.
- Make and fry the egg rolls, then freeze.
Egg Roll Recipe
Egg Rolls (makes about 30 egg rolls)
- 1 ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 6 scallions, sliced. Keep the white part of scallion separate from the green.
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry (can substitute cooking sherry, or vanilla)
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts (I used canned)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 ½ lb. cabbage, sliced ( ½ of a cabbage)
- 25 – 30 Egg Roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons water
- Peanut or canola oil for deep frying
- In skillet, brown ground beef and drain.
- Remove beef from skillet.
- In skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil.
- Add the white part of the scallions and the ginger to the oil and stir-fry until the scallions are soft.
- Add the browned meat back into the skillet.
- Stir in soy sauce, sherry, mushrooms, sugar, and mix well.
- Stir in bean sprouts, green scallions, and celery. Remove all ingredients from the skillet and put into large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to skillet and heat. Add carrots and cabbage and stir-fry until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cooked carrots and cabbage to the mixing bowl, and stir to combine all ingredients.
Option 1: Freeze egg roll mixture in a freezer bag until you are ready to assemble the egg rolls.
To make egg rolls:
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with cold water to make a paste.
- Lay the egg roll wrapper flat, with a corner pointing towards you.
- Add about 1 – 2 tablespoons of mixture to center of egg roll wrapper.
- You will be folding the egg roll similar to how an envelope is folded.
- Fold corner closest to you over the mixture and tuck under the mixture.
- Dip your finger in the cornstarch mixture and coat sides of wrapper. Fold each side in towards center, sealing with cornstarch as needed.
- Coat remaining top corner of wrapper with the cornstarch mixture and fold it over the egg roll to seal the roll. Use the cornstarch mixture to seal down all parts of egg roll. Store on wire rack until ready to deep fry.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Using a pair of tongs or strainer, carefully add the egg roll to the hot oil. Cook only 2 -3 egg rolls at a time.
- Fry until the egg roll turns golden brown.
- Let the egg roll drain on paper towels or wire rack.
Option 2: Once egg rolls have drained, place on a baking sheet and flash freeze in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer egg rolls to a freezer bag until ready to use.
To bake frozen egg rolls:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place frozen egg rolls on a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until egg rolls are fully heated.
- Turn once during baking time.
- Let stand 2 – 3 minutes before serving.
Category: Freezer Cooking & OAMC