So you took advantage of a supermarket sale and brought home mega amounts of ground beef. Now what? You can break it down into portions and freeze it, or better yet you can organize and shape it into meals, and then freeze it!
6 Bulk Ground Beef Ideas for the Freezer
1. Mix ground beef with chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and spices. Shape into hamburger patties and freeze. Frozen hamburgers can be cooked on the grill, and indoor grill, or a skillet in no time.
Cheese Stuffed Hamburgers
- Season raw ground beef with your favorite spices such as salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and/or cumin.
- Shape meat into an even number of thin patties.
- Place desired cheese such as blue cheese, mozzarella, Munster, Swiss, etc. on half the patties.
- Place a plain patty on top of each cheese-topped patty and seal the edges so the cheese is inside the burger.
- Wrap and freeze your Cheese Stuffed Burgers!
2. Salisbury Steak: Season meat, shape into burgers, and freeze. When you are ready to serve, cook burgers and serve topped with beef gravy, sautéed onions and mushrooms, and a side of mashed potatoes.
3. Go Mexican: Season the ground beef with taco seasoning, cook, and freeze. The seasoned beef can be used to make tacos, taco salads, or burritos.
4. Meal Starter: Brown the meat with basic seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, etc.) and save it for casseroles, spaghetti sauce, or baked ziti.
5. Make into Meatloaf: When you are ready to cook your meal, defrost the meatloaf in the refrigerator (can take 24 hours depending upon the size), and cook as you normally would.
Fun Meatloaf for the Kids!
- Mix your ground beef as you would normally when making a meatloaf. I usually make mine with ground beef, eggs, ketchup, breadcrumbs, fresh herbs, and onion soup mix.
- Instead of forming it into a loaf, fill muffin tins with mixture to make mini meatloaves.
- Flash freeze the muffin tins. Once the meat is frozen, pop them out of the muffin tins, put into a freezer bag and return to the freezer until you are ready to cook them.
6. Meatballs! Mix ground beef with Italian Seasoning, Parmesan cheese, egg(s), ketchup, and bread crumbs. Form the meat into meatballs and flash freeze. Again, once frozen put the meatballs into a freezer bag to use later in spaghetti, Swedish meatballs, or meatball subs.
I’d love to hear your recipes and ideas! What do you do with your ground beef?
Photo Credit: jimbrickett