Summer is here and what better time to fill your freezer with delicious homecooked meals! The way this can be done is by doing something called once a month cooking. Once a month cooking (also called once a week cooking or freezer cooking) is an incredible way to save money and time each month. The concept is very simple – you cook all of your meals for the month in one day (even diet meals). Now that may sound overwhelming but if you do it right it is very easy. Check out Frugal Mom’s section on Once a Month Cooking to get a brief overview of how the process works.
I have just finished writing a cookbook on once a month cooking that not only teaches you in detail how to do it, has once a month cooking forms to help you every step of the way, but it is filled with over 70 recipes that were tested by members of the FrugalMom forum!
Here’s one of the delicious recipes in the book:
Freezing Method: Flash Freeze / Freezer Bag
Cooking Day Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 small chopped onion
3 slices of bread, torn into small pieces
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup milk
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1-package manicotti shells (8 oz.)
Cooking Day Instructions:
1. Cook ground beef and onion in skillet until browned.
3. Stir in bread, egg, cheese, milk and seasoning.
4. Mix well.
5. Fill uncooked manicotti shells with meat mixture.
6. Flash freeze, then transfer to freezer bag.
Serving Day Ingredients:
2 jars of your favorite tomato sauce.
Serving Day Instructions:
1. Place frozen shells in a lightly greased 13” x 9” baking dish.
2. Pour sauce over shells.
3. Cover dish tightly with foil and cook at 375-degrees 1 ¾ – 2 hours or until shells are tender.
Category: Frugal Cooking & Recipes