Your Own Home Business - Dream or Reality?
by: Craig Binkley
This is a question many people have asked themselves, sometimes over and over. Is it possible for the average person to start and run a successful home business? I’m here to say that the answer is a resounding YES!
With that said, there are some specific questions you should answer before starting your business. This list is by no means a complete, comprehensive all-encompassing checklist, but it will give you a good starting place.
What type of business to start?
1. Do I have any knowledge in this area?
2. What skill do I have to run this business?
3. Is this something that I will enjoy doing?
4. How much will it cost to start?
5. Do I have the money this would require?
6. Is there a market for this product/service?
7. How will I promote my business?
8. Am I willing to put in the effort to make it work?
9. Am I dedicated enough to “stick with it”?
10. How much income will this business have to create?
11. How big do I want this business to become?
12. What are the tax implications of owning a business?
13. Are there any regulations (federal/state/local) that I need to be aware of?
14. Am I capable of doing the bookkeeping required or do I need to hire out?
15. What type of insurance will be required?
There are numerous resources online to help you answer some of these questions. Here are a few of the sites I recommend.
Of course, some of these questions can only be answered by you. Be honest with yourself. A successful home business is a wonderful thing, but a failed business can be a hard pill to swallow. Honestly answering these questions (and others) will help direct you on the path to success.
2004 © Born-Again Bargains
About The Author
Craig Binkley – husband, father and home business owner assisting in the restoration of the “traditional” family through home business ownership.