+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small problem

Default Small problem

OK, it is a little bigger than small. Dd can read. She just doesn't want to. She knows all the sounds and can read quite well when she wants to read something. She doesn't want anyone to know she can read either. When someone asks her what a word is, she will just say, "I don't know!" She is getting to the point that she is not progressing like I need her to. Does anyone know of any super-cool reading games we can play that maybe she will get into and not really realize she is reading?? I have tried just telling her she has to read it and that I can't do it for her, but then she gets really upset and frustrated. I want this to be fun and for her to enjoy reading, but I am at the end of my rope.

Mom to three handsome boys and one beautiful girl. Wife to an inspiration.

How do we change the world?
    By performing one act of random kindness at a time.

Have you tried a book series that might get her interested? Austen doesn't like to read either even though he is a good reader. My Mil got him a few series type books, Captain Underpants and Junie B. Jones (what names ) and he really likes them. I'm thinking about getting him maybe something like The Boxcar Children series or Maybe some Beverly Cleary books that I liked as a child to see if those will interest him. He's also in an AR (accelerated reader) program at school that gives rewards for books read based on a point system and that has motivated him to read more since he's getting something tangible out of it,(seven year old greed gotta love it). Maybe that's something you could try to motivate her.
    Chris
    Wife of 19 years to the most amazing man, David.
    Mom to Ryan, 12, and Austen, 9

"Mothers of little boys work from Son up to Son Down"

]

I did get her a couple of princess books at a book sale I was planning on giving her at a later date (birthday), but I think I will go ahead and give them to her. We do a lot of fun things to encourage reading, but a lot of the time, she will let the other kids read it or she just refuses. *sigh* Fun, Fun!

DD did the exact same thing!! My sister was her Sunday School teacher (and doesn't homeschool), and dd would refuse to read anything....of course my sister thought she "couldn't read". DD wouldn't read aloud to granny, cousins anyone.

One thing that worked with working on the "words" themself was, I made a easy "board" game on paper (just some connected squares in whatever shape you want....the easier the better). If you can make copies make several "blank" copies. Then fill in the squares with words (gradually getting harder through-out the squares) then get some cute little game piece (some road blocks, constructions type little toys are fun to add too at a really difficult word and if she gets it right....the road block is moved). Anyway she gets to move to each block as she says the word outloud and correct...and you can give a little prize (like a sticker or something) when she reaches the end!

Also we "acted" out books she loved, but she had to read aloud her part & then I read my part aloud, before we could act it out.

I also made "flashcards" with words on them that she had to say the word aloud then either "act" the word out or "find" the word...i.e "cylindrical" she would read the word then run off to find something that shape, or "waltz" after reading the word she would waltz...you can use whatever words that she may need to work on.

These worked for at home, she still didn't want to read to anyone else (she does now, but it took awhile). But at least these got her reading aloud at home (I know I had some other "tricks" too, can't remember them ). Hope some of these have given you an idea that may work.

Last edited by Tammy; 01-09-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Tammy~married to my sweetheart ~sahm to my pumpkin
    Come visit me at my new blog!

Thank you! Those are some great ideas.

This is so funny. I was searching for a different thread I had posted to when this popped up.

Just thought I would update you. lol She is now my girl that leaves the library with an arm load of books and then three days later will ask when we are going back to get more books. :-)

So neat seeing an old post like this.

+ Reply to Thread