+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!!Cheap recipes for a bunch!

Default Help!!Cheap recipes for a bunch!

There are already 6 of us here(several BIG BIG eaters). my dd's friend and her boyfriend are coming to stay with us for several days(they will sleep in separate beds-that has been a fight!) so I need cheap meals that will feed 8 people, many of whom eat ALOT! I have the normal spaghetti, chili, tacos, hot dogs............any ideas??

How about chicken and rice, sloppy joes, breakfast (we call it brinner---breakfast for dinner) I make beefaroni---uses the same spaghetti sauce and I use macaroni instead of spaghetti noodles.
    Christie
    Married to the love of my life
    Mom to the best kid ever!!!

Yay! Keep em coming. I also need some cheap dessert recipes. We like dessert and it helps stretch other more expensive foods for my very busy very hungry men!!

Michele another thing we do is when we have chili, alot of times I bake a bunch of potatoes and we have a chili baked potato. Top it with some grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream...yummy. Or I make a big pan of cornbread to go with it. Chili dogs, makes the chili go further.

For cheap desserts, my boys like pudding with coolwhip on top. Or Jello with fruit in it. A simple sheet cake with frosting, or cupcakes. DS loves peaches or pineapple on cottage cheese whenever we have spaghetti. It is a bit of sweet with the spicyness of the spaghetti.

I love to cook can you tell? But I only have to cook for 3 so I am limited on what I cook that goes far enough to feed 8.
    Christie
    Married to the love of my life
    Mom to the best kid ever!!!

Google for caramel dumplings for a great tasting, yet frugal dessert!

How about au' gratin potatoes and ham? Pizza casserole?
    "I'm parallel parked in a diagonal world!"

Extra cheap side dishes to fill those hungry stomachs, like cornbread, roasted potatoes, or mac and cheese. Sliced fresh fruit that's cheap right now?

Cake mixes go on sale for .99 or less around here. How about that for desserts? Apple/peach crisp is usually super cheap to make as well.

We love the chili topped baked potatoes that someone recommended earlier, and they are very inexpensive.

I was going to suggest a baked potato bar as well, pasta salad, lasagne rolls, ummmm its too hot for soups, ummm, hmmm, I'm stumped! I will look some up for you today

Desserts I would say cupcakes/cake, cookies, pudding, Jello, rice krispie treats....
    Shawn, mom to 3 and wife to my love

Visit my online store! www.beautipage.com/shawnwells

When I've got a crowd to feed I'm got a couple of standards that I go to.

Breakfast:
    Either biscuits or cinnamon rolls (I make the night before and just toss in oven in the morning), a meat side (usually sausage patties), scrambled eggs and fruit

Lunch (this time of year):
    Hamburgers or hot dogs
    Potato or macaroni salad
    Watermelon or Fruit salad

Dinner:
    Lasagna with crumbled hamburger as the meat layer
    Salad
    Garlic Bread

or (if you rate the good food, LOL)

Steak
    broccoli/corn
    Loaded Baked Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes
    Salad

Extras:
    I try to make sure there are quick energy snacks, like cookies or brownies. Something hand held...in case someone starts to get those hunger-nasties. And I stock up on cheese and crackers...

I make everything from scratch...so the only big expense is the meat. I find that without meat in the meal, guests tend to get hungry a couple of hours later (and we have alot of work parties where I need those men working)...so I always make sure there is a good chunk of protein in there.

Liz

Have you ever made the 5 ingredient cobbler? Thats' pretty cheap and easy...a yellow cake mix and butter over the top of a couple cans of apple pie filling....trying to remember the exact recipe now...google it , lol!

One thing I just had yesterday, my sister makes....crock pot chicken. Chicken breasts, as many as you need to feed your crew, cook in the crockpot with a brick of philly creme cheese and a can of cream of chicken or creme of mushroom soup, a little salt and pepper to taste...shred the chicken when it's cooked well...and serve over noodles or rice...it was delish!

+ Reply to Thread