+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disrespectful teacher :(

Default Disrespectful teacher :(

So, THAT was painful I got to spend half of my lunch hour sitting across the desk from DD's English teacher. I've heard things about him in the past, but today we got to meet face-to-face. He didn't even shake my hand. Didn't really introduce himself. Instead, he sort of pointed to a student desk and told me to have a seat. But, then he starts in on "your daughter" this, and "your daughter" that over and over and OVER again until I finally said, "Um, her name is Elise. You keep referring to her as my daughter, and she's sitting right here." He just glared at me without a word, so I repeated myself to break the moment. I smiled, nodded and said, "Her name is Elise."

Awkward doesn't begin to describe the moment, but I had to do it - I didn't like his attitude.

It was completely out of line for me to be that direct, but you ladies know as well as I that when someone pushes the right buttons, your Mama Bear comes out big a strong.

I reminded DD that it certainly doesn't excuse her from her responsibilities in that class (there seems to be a communication problem), but I also won't allow him to belittle her either.

Oh well - onward and upward
    God Bless You - Have a great day!
    Debbie
    Stop by the Writin' 4 Him Cafe and join me for a cup of coffee at: http://writin4him.blogspot.com/ Now you can click "subscribe" to receive each new post!

"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders." Psalm 9

No, you weren't out of line. The teacher was. There's no excuse for being rude. Even if you are (or more like it...especially if you are) in a position of authority. I've dealt with that before when both of my girls were in school. There are teachers that are so wonderful that you almost cry when your child goes to the next grade. But then there are the ones that try your patience from the get go.

Good for you for standing up for your daughter and reminding him that she is a person, has a name and is worth his respect!!
    THIS IS NO ORDINARY HOUSEWIFE YOU'RE DEALING WITH!!!

Only Bleach Manufacturers Care If My Socks Are White-My facebook journey of working towards living as simply as possible.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Only-...99784580091063

I work in the school system and there is/was no reason for a teacher to be rude. Good for you for standing up for her. She is his student and that is just plain old disrespect.
    Christie
    Married to the love of my life
    Mom to the best kid ever!!!

Good for you!! Sometimes it takes us mama bears to put someone so disrespectful..down a notch. Hope it was a good lesson to the teacher. Shame on him!!
    Linda

I was in a similar spot earlier this year, you are right, the mama bear does come out....and strong sometimes! There is no reason he can't have a respectful relationship with his students! DD1's English teacher and Science teacher (in Jr High) are married and they have such a wonderful relationship with the students, they respect the kids, joke with them, RESPECT them, and guess what happens?? The kids strive to do well in their classes! DD1 and I are friends with the English teacher on Facebook and when Syd was having a hard time adjusting to High School she talked to Mrs B about it, and I was so thankful that she has these kinds of influences in her life. It irritates me that there are teachers out there that buy into the line of thinking that all teenagers are lazy and bad...there really are some great kids out there! I'm glad you got to meet him face to face, hopefully the communication problems will go away now!
    Shawn, mom to 3 and wife to my love

Visit my online store! www.beautipage.com/shawnwells

Doesn't that just make you angry? I mean, how hard is it to be respectful? Just be respectful. You can still get your point across without making the other person feel like a POS.

Ugghhhh. Hopefully you won't have to deal with this teacher in that way again.

What a jerk. People like that should not be teaching...

Thanks for all your great comments, sweet ladies I think that by letting the teacher know he'd crossed the line was one thing, but it also did something in DD, as well. It confirmed in her that even though we fight and argue, she's definitely worth standing up for, AND that I love her despite her "evil ways" (LOL). I didn't feel like I'd condoned her negative thoughts toward her teacher, but I definitely confirmed that HE needed to respect her simply because she's my daughter, and I reiterated the fact that she simply has to do what is asked of her....hopefully, there won't be anymore "issues," but if there are, I'm thinkin' he'll have to deal with DH next time......and I shudder at the thought!
    God Bless You - Have a great day!
    Debbie
    Stop by the Writin' 4 Him Cafe and join me for a cup of coffee at: http://writin4him.blogspot.com/ Now you can click "subscribe" to receive each new post!

"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders." Psalm 9

He sounds a bit pompous. Good for you for saying what needed to be said! Praying for the situation thought. Hope things get better.

Mom to three handsome boys and one beautiful girl. Wife to an inspiration.

How do we change the world?
    By performing one act of random kindness at a time.

+ Reply to Thread