+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corn Cob Stock

Default Corn Cob Stock

I read about this online and my little frugal heart skipped a beat. You take corn cobs that have had the nibblets cut or eaten off the cob and make a vegetable stock for soups. Not only do you get double duty from the corn, you get stock for you soup. I’ve not tried this yet…and I was so excited because my local grocery store had a flyer that said 3 ears of corn for $1.00. I guess they got sold out because there wasn’t a bit of corn to be had when I went shopping yesterday.

But the recipe is that you cover the cobs with water (a couple of inches over them is fine), boil and then reduce to a simmer for about an hour. Then you have stock.

I’m going to keep our used cobs in some sort of container (trying to avoid a baggie) in the freezer until I enough to make a nice bit of stock. My frozen soup supply has dwindled and I need to make more.
    THIS IS NO ORDINARY HOUSEWIFE YOU'RE DEALING WITH!!!

Only Bleach Manufacturers Care If My Socks Are White-My facebook journey of working towards living as simply as possible.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Only-...99784580091063

This is usually what I do with our corn cobs ;)

CORN COB JELLY
    Boil 6 or 8 sweet corn cobs (after corn is cut off) for about 10 minutes in water to cover. Strain the liquid. Measure 3 cups liquid in the same pan.
    Add 1 box of Sure-Jell and bring to a rolling boil. Add 4 cups sugar. Again, bring to boil and boil 1 minute. For color, you may add a little yellow food coloring. Pour in glasses, same as any jelly.
    "I'm parallel parked in a diagonal world!"

I've heard of corn cob jelli, too. I honestly don't think I'm cut out for making jelly. I've tried the cooked one and the non-cooking one and they both came out terrible. Maybe once more. LOL
    THIS IS NO ORDINARY HOUSEWIFE YOU'RE DEALING WITH!!!

Only Bleach Manufacturers Care If My Socks Are White-My facebook journey of working towards living as simply as possible.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Only-...99784580091063

+ Reply to Thread