+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you serve w/ Dirty Rice, and Pierogi (separately!)

Default What do you serve w/ Dirty Rice, and Pierogi (separately!)

Dirty Rice just doesn't seem like a great meal - we never know what to serve with it. I make mine with ground beef in the rice.

Then there's pierogi. My Mom always served them with pork chops. Do they go well with anything else at your house?

-Kelly.
    Wifey to Dennis, together 14 years!
    Katrina 8/26/97
    Eric, Doug, and Gillian 6/1/04

Perogies are a staple with Kielbassa here in Pa.. you cant eat one without eating the other.

Dirty rice and Rice Dressing is simialar here in the south! My cajun grandmother taught me how to make rice dressing. My sister's friend from Alaska calls it Liver Rice! Sounds gross.... But, oh so good! She had me make it every time I visited them when they were stationed at VA Beach!

Start off with a lb of chicken liver and lb of ground sausage; cook it down with onions, celery and garlic on low heat. Drain off the fat. Prepare your rice and mix the two together. Add some cajun seasoning and some tobasco. Some people will then put in the oven for about 30 minutes. Hence the dressing part. I prefer it just mixed together. I tend to think its to dry coming out of the oven. We usually have this at EVERY holiday! But when I make it for an everyday meal I just add some vegetables and a salad.

dH just eats dirty rice by itself, but we have also used it as a side if we have gumbo or something too. It is kind of hard tothink of something else to serve it with isn't it?
    Shawn, mom to 3 and wife to my love

Visit my online store! www.beautipage.com/shawnwells

Not sure about the piergi but dirty rice is something that we get at Bojangles around here with fried chicken so fried chicken might be something to pair it up with.
    Chris
    Wife of 19 years to the most amazing man, David.
    Mom to Ryan, 12, and Austen, 9

"Mothers of little boys work from Son up to Son Down"

]

I don't think I've ever had either one! I've had cajun rice- never heard of "dirty" rice- is it the same?
    mb

I'm pretty sure cajun and dirty are the same thing. At our house, dirty rice has ground beef, green/red peppers, onion, cajun spices, etc.

I can't help you with pierogi! It's a regional thing, but I thought every grocery store sold Mrs. Paul's in the freezer section.

Finding a way to serve pierogi that isn't swimming in butter is the challenge!

-Kelly.
    Wifey to Dennis, together 14 years!
    Katrina 8/26/97
    Eric, Doug, and Gillian 6/1/04

You dont have to let them swim in butter.. You can deep fry them too!

Mrs T make Pierogies... Mrs Paul is fish, I think. We know our Pierogies here in Pa.

I have never had dirty rice though. I just love hearing what people eat and what people call certain foods through out the US.

Perogies (spelled that way here) are eaten with Farmers sausage. They are boiled or fried and served with butter-browned onions and bacon bits with a healthy dollop of sour cream on top. That is most definitely one of my favorite things to eat. Yum! You don't have to drown them in butter though, but the sour cream is almost a "must have". Our favorite perogie is potato and cheddar. If you want a healthier way to eat it, they are also wonderful with sausage and homemade salsa. The sour cream is still recommended though, but you could use low fat if you are so inclined.

The way I figure it, our parents and grandparents ate whole foods..."real" butter, sugar, flour, garden veggies, etc and are living for a long time. We on the other hand will eat stuff like fast foods, and not work as hard, so we're not as healthy. I'd prefer to eat good and work harder. I do love my food!

Judy
    Pay it Forward

Default What to do with dirty rice....

Hey there~~ new to this site, want to say "HEllO" to everyone!! What I do with leftover dirty rice, is I fry flour tortillas {smeared with butter/margarine} then serve the dirty rice in the tortillas as "tacos"...mmm, yummy!!

+ Reply to Thread