+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taco meat seasoning?

Default Taco meat seasoning?

I usually buy those little packets of taco meat seasoning, but I've vowed to myself that I will NOT go to the store for anything until the weekend (I go in for 1 thing, and end up spending $40 ).

I would like to know what everyone else uses to season their taco meat if they don't buy the seasoning packets.
    God Bless You - Have a great day!
    Debbie
    Stop by the Writin' 4 Him Cafe and join me for a cup of coffee at: http://writin4him.blogspot.com/ Now you can click "subscribe" to receive each new post!

"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders." Psalm 9

DON'T DO IT! use a little chili powder, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes, and cumin. if you don't have all of these, use what you have.

BTW- almost all seasoning packets contain MSG disguised under many names including "natural flavorings, spices, natural chicken (or beef) flavoring, and about 20 other mild sounding names.
    mb

Funny, I had just come across a post on a blog about this this a.m.

This Taco Bell copycat seasoning mix recipe is yummy and much less to prepare and use than buying the little packets from the store. This taco seasoning recipe can be premade and stored in an airtight container such as a mason jar, sealed plastic storage bowl, or zipper bags.

Taco Bell Seasoning Mix Recipe

2 tablespoons flour
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    3/4 teaspoon crushed beef bullion cube
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 onion powder (or to taste)

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Store in a container until ready for use.

When ready to use, brown ground beef and drain. Add seasoning mix and 3/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I'd love to give credit, but I unfortunately can't remember where I copied it from, I've been looking at too many blogs!!
    Loving wife to Jeremy
    Loving mum to Drew, Mimi, and HoundCat and to Clark Kent and Lois Lane!

Change goals:

Once again, my frugal moms came through for me Thanks SO much, ladies. This is gonna be dinner tonight. When I finally land on something that DS likes like tacos, I want to be sure and give it to him. DH is out of town this week, but I'm making tacos and rice tonight for me and the kids before Tae Kwon Do.
    God Bless You - Have a great day!
    Debbie
    Stop by the Writin' 4 Him Cafe and join me for a cup of coffee at: http://writin4him.blogspot.com/ Now you can click "subscribe" to receive each new post!

"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders." Psalm 9

I got this out of the Not Just Beans cookbooks that I love. I believe I doubled or tripled the batch and put it in a clean bullion cube container. It Works AWESOME!!

Taco Seasoning

6 tsp. chili powder
    3 tsp. onion powder
    4 tsp. cumin
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    5 tsp. paprika
    tsp. cayenne pepper
    tsp. oregano

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container. One teaspoon of homemade taco seasoning equals 2 teaspoons store-bought.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose74 View Post
    . . . Taco Bell Seasoning Mix Recipe
    . . . 1/2 onion powder (or to taste). . .
    Is that 1/2 teaspoon, tablespoon or bottle of Onion Powder? Also, 1 lb. of ground beef or more?

Thanks,
    MET

Quote Originally Posted by Pursuer View Post
    I got this out of the Not Just Beans cookbooks that I love. I believe I doubled or tripled the batch and put it in a clean bullion cube container. It Works AWESOME!!

Taco Seasoning

6 tsp. chili powder
    3 tsp. onion powder
    4 tsp. cumin
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    5 tsp. paprika
    tsp. cayenne pepper
    tsp. oregano

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container. One teaspoon of homemade taco seasoning equals 2 teaspoons store-bought.
    Is that used with 1 pound of ground beef or 2 lbs??

Default Thank you

I used a combination of the posts on here for seasoning taco meat, and it turned out great!! I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions. I am not a mom but found your website from a search engine.

url removed - please read posting guidelines

Thanks a million!

~AM
    Last edited by Tammy; 03-01-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: url removed - please read posting guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by annemarie View Post
    I used a combination of the posts on here for seasoning taco meat, and it turned out great!! I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions. I am not a mom but found your website from a search engine.

url removed - please read posting guidelines

Thanks a million!

~AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursuer View Post

Taco Seasoning

6 tsp. chili powder
    3 tsp. onion powder
    4 tsp. cumin
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    5 tsp. paprika
    tsp. cayenne pepper
    tsp. oregano

I made this last night; added 3Tbsp and some Kitchen Bouquet to (equivalent to 1lb) faux beef crumbles for a vegetarian taco option. It's marinating in the fridge now; am taking it to Game Night tonight. We'll see how it goes! :D

Quote Originally Posted by AKAHeyU View Post

Is that 1/2 teaspoon, tablespoon or bottle of Onion Powder? Also, 1 lb. of ground beef or more?

Thanks,
    MET
    Not the OP But I would say tsp since everything else is tsp
    Anjela
    Momma to:
    Aaliyah
    Aalyssa
    $45.55

+ Reply to Thread