+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Help

Default The Help

Has anyone read it? It is on my list to read, I have heard rave reviews about it, and with the movie coming out next month I want to read it in the next few weeks. If you've read it what did you think? I have high expectations about it, since so many friends have said it was so good. I'm hoping that it's as good as everyone says!
    Shawn, mom to 3 and wife to my love

Visit my online store! www.beautipage.com/shawnwells

I read it and I thought it was really good. I talked to my Mom about it. She was growing up/married during that time and she said that it was accurate.
    Christie
    Married to the love of my life
    Mom to the best kid ever!!!

I am fascinated with that era, it could be because I am an interracial couple and have biracial kids, but it is so interesting to me how people treated each other (I guess in some area how they still treat one another) I will have to pick up a copy and start reading!

My mother grew up in a household that had hired "help". My mama loved her and still to this day tells us stories about her. They treated her like family, but there were still some things she would not do....like sit down to eat with them, even though they would beg her to.
    Christie
    Married to the love of my life
    Mom to the best kid ever!!!

funny how "etiquette" was back then isn't it?

Read it this spring- one of my favorite books of all time. So interesting and thought-provoking. I really started rooting for certain characters! I heard the movie is coming out this summer, and I am so excited to see it, even though most books are better than their movies.

I am almost 200 pages in, this is one of the BEST books I've read in a LONG time!!!

I want to read that..and see the movie too. I just hope it isnt one of those deals where the movie is so different than the book.

Nancy, the book is amazing! In my top 10 for sure!

I've been dying to read it too. I'm on the waiting list at the library (like 48 or something....grrrr).

We NEVER go to movie theaters. I've been once in about 5 years. It's just too expensive and we have a really great system here....so why pay all that money to suffer.

Liz

Hmm I think I will have to pick this book up. I had no idea and it sounds like such a great book. I too love that era and think this would be a great book to read. Currently I'm reading " The Historian" and it's a slow read but I'm really giving it the ol' college try.
    Jamie, Mom to 2, wife to 1. Yes I'm a coffee addict!

I would like to read it too. Dh & I went to see Crazy Stupid Love this past weekend (GREAT movie BTW) and The Help was on the previews. It looks awesome, and I can't wait to see it.
    Linda

Well I went to the library today to check out this book, and come to find out, the library only had 3 copies and all 3 were checked out with 4 people on the waiting list! I put my name up there so hopefully I'll get a copy soonish.
    Jamie, Mom to 2, wife to 1. Yes I'm a coffee addict!

I loved this book! I read it in a day!! Ok... at the beach last summmer! I just re read it again. Cant wait to see the movie. I rarely go to the movies.... but will go see this one!!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Embrace all equally!

+ Reply to Thread