Frugal Mom Forums
Frugal Mom Forums » Work From Home » Online Auctions » New to eBay and eBay selling - Need Advice!

Online Auctions Let's talk about making money from online auction sites such as eBay! Share things you have learned or ask questions of others who are doing it.

Welcome to the Frugal Mom Forums.

We are very proud of our community - our members are friendly, the boards are filled with great frugal tips, we love helping others live frugally, and it is a terrific place to make new friends. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join us today - you will be warmly welcomed!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
dee

Default New to eBay and eBay selling - Need Advice!

First time poster here! I've been thinking about diving into this whole making money with eBay thing for awhile, but have always been worried because I don't want to lose money that I don't really have to lose. I've got some clothes around the house that I could sell, but I'm just not sure why anyone would want them.

A girlfriend of mine was telling me about how you can buy stuff at places like Wal-Mart on sale and then resell them. She said she made a bunch of money selling some MP3 players she bought at Wallie world for like $20. Apparently people were bidding as much as $50 for them! Even with cheap shipping, she made a bundle.

Is this common?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM
redrose74

I've heard of people doing such, buying things really cheap and then trying to make a profit, but I've never done it myself. Everything I've sold on E-bay has been stuff I already had (or inherited). You can see the charts for fees on E-bay and you can set it up so your fees are less (for example, not having a highlighted listing, having the starting fee low, etc.). You just have to pay attention and be careful on the options you choose.

Change goals:

Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Ima

Before you sell anything, check on ebay if the item or similar items sell. You can click on "completed items" in the search options to see if items sold or didn't sell.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
sweetie peeps

I sold on ebay for a few years and even made powerseller for a little while but it has changed a whole lot. What I would do first is just sell some stuff from your home and then if you like it and don't mind the shipping hassles you could take some of that money and maybe hit some yard sales for good quality toys or something you would like to sell. Don't put alot of money into until you know you like it, you see how much time it takes and if it's all worth your time. I quit because it just got to much for me to handle and it just wasn't worth it anymore. I still sell a few things here and there but nothing like I used to.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:05 PM
savvy_sniper

I have been selling on eBay since early 2003 with an eBay store since January 2004 and a PowerSeller since March 2004. I am also a mentor for an organization that helps the disabled learn to sell on eBay.

THE NUMBER ONE piece of advice I can give you is to start out small - selling things from around the house to get your feet wet and learn your way around eBay! I have seen MANY new sellers start out TOO BIG, TOO FAST. Then they make a couple of mistakes that they cannot recover from (financially).

Go to your library and check out books about eBay there - READ them all! Most books about eBay are outdated almost as soon as they are published; so don't waste your time buying books. If you learn one or two things from each book, they it was worth your while.

Also, read the eBay Discussion Boards. There are buyers and sellers there that answer newbies questions. That is how I got started. Check out these boards - Auction Listing, Packing and Shipping, PayPal, Seller Central, Stores, and any others that catch your eye.

I would also advise you to buy a few items on eBay first. That will help you to learn a little about eBay AND get you some feedback. When you start selling, buyers aren't like to bid/buy from you if you have little or no feedback. Buyers will be more likely to take a chance on you, IF you are selling low cost items.

Good Luck!

Mary
Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
nbp2452

Default I sell on...

I have used amazon.com, they don't charge you a fee, unless you actually sell an item. E bay was too costly since I don't have a stash of things to sell. I, like you, just sell things I no longer want, that belong to me personaly.
I have also used craigslist, its free. I usually post my things on those sites and here, for here I use an even lower wanted amount because I know we are all frugal here and my friends.
Have you tried the swap meet section here on this site?
I lost 12 pounds in october
I lost 8 pounds in november
I lost 6 pounds in december...
I lost 4 pounds in jan....
I lost 6 pounds in Feb.....
I lost 5 pounds in March....
I lost 2 pounds in April....
total lost 43 pounds !!! :
Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 AM
711alr

To start out I just sold a few of things from around the house, then I started selling stuff for friends and family, and then moved up into buying wholesale. There are lots of different places to find things to sell. auctionmamas.net is focused on moms selling on ebay, and has tons of stuff on selling on ebay.

Last edited by Tammy; 04-21-2009 at 01:01 PM.