Frugal Mom Forums
Frugal Mom Forums » Frugal Living » Product Reviews » Need a new vacuum

Product Reviews Let's help each other be "informed/frugal" buyers! This is the place to questions items before you make a purchase, or give someone a "helpful hint" about those products you really like or don't like.

Welcome to the Frugal Mom Forums.

We are very proud of our community - our members are friendly, the boards are filled with great frugal tips, we love helping others live frugally, and it is a terrific place to make new friends. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join us today - you will be warmly welcomed!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 PM
familyof6

Default Need a new vacuum

My old hoover died and I bought a Eureka that my friend raved about. I hate it though. I can't used it on the vinyl floor because it spits everything out the back. It's OK on the carpet, but not great. I have so much vinyl on the main floor and I try to sweep at least every evening with the little kids and food allergies, but I'm having to use a broom. I miss being able to pull out the vacuum and clean the vinyl and carpet at the same time.

Costco has a Shark (or Euro Shark) sweeper that looks interesting and might be nice for the day to day stuff between vacuuming. Does anyone have any comments on these or any suggestions for good vacuums? I have a budget of $150.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:19 PM
LifeOfRylee

i like my bissell stic vac for the tile floor. picks up most everything. but we only have a few rugs, so i don't know how it really does with carpet. does fine with the rugs, but i shake them and wash regularly too. i think i paid $35 for it 5 years ago.

it would be nice to be able to test drive them, wouldn't it?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM
momma2girls

We just have a regular Bissell vac and it gets the job done. I think it was $75.00. We have our Hyla for deep cleaning.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
guidosmom

Since I now live in an apt again, there really is nothing as good (& as relatively cheap: $100-$150) as the old-fashioned Hoover or Eureka basic upright. No vacuum is all things to all applications, no matter what they tell you. You will always give up efficiency in/at something if you try for an "all-encompassing" vac. So, unfortunately, it looks like a carpet deep-cleaner (basic upright), a handheld portable (Hoover makes a great one (Sidewinder) for about $40. & a light stick vac for bare floors.
There is a new company who's name I can't recall right now that makes an Oreck lookalike for 1/3 the price of the Oreck: about $200 (I've heard this company was begun by ex-Oreck employees when Katrina interrupted operations in New Orleans) & has Oreck's light weight & multiple surface cleaning ability but the problem is the same as with any light weight vac: it's simply, physically not heavy enough to do the job a Hoover or Eureka basic upright does. I've used both, side-by-side on identical surfaces with identical dirt challenges & Oreck simply does not do the deep-cleaning provided by the combination of weight, agitator bars & good suction provided by a strong motor (at least 1200 watts, preferrably more) of the original. And, yes, it does weigh more. That's part of what makes it so good at what it does.

Being a mom, gramma & 58 yr rehabber of all things vacuum (a family business), my personal opinion is a central vacuum. I only developed that opinion when I had a home with one of these babies. OMG. From a strictly ease-&-quality-of-home-cleaning point of view (and quality of LIFE!), THIS was the cat's meow! If you've never had one (& most folks haven't), you have no earthly idea what you're missing. Keep 1 hose (available in a 30 ft length) & appropriate attachments on each floor of your home, the central unit hangs on the basement wall (which, by the way, is where all the dirt & noise goes) & you plug the hose into the receptacle in any room. NO MORE dragging the vacuum anywhere. The prices on these things have really come down. If you and a friend can get together to run the flexible or pipe duct work and minor electrical, you will NEVER regret the work you put into this project. Your life, forevermore, will be vacuum simplified, so much so that any attempt your hubby might make to move your family had better come with central vac or it's divorce time, I kid you not.
Tho' this may be easier for me than for you since I've been doing this all my life, you can figure this out. It is not rocket science. If you don't mind fishing ductwork to each room where you want to connect the hose and getting a little exercise & dust, you and a friend can do this. For the power supply to the each receptacle switch (turns the vac on when you plug in the hose to whatever receptacle), you might want someone with a little minor electrical know-how to show you 1 connection. After that, you can do the rest...it's a simple hookup to the nearest electrical outlet. This, by the way, is the same "fishing" path you will take for receptacle placement. I know this sounds nuts to you but if you are the least bit daring, get the hubby involved & do this. This will not cost you the 3-5K a builder or contractor will charge you if you do your own install. More like $1200 including the unit, 2 hoses (recommend the low-voltage option in these. They will power your rug attachments right thru the hose connection), motor burn-out prevention valve (an add-on), all tubing or flex duct, receptacles, etc. When you experience your housework world thru the miracle of central vac, you will thank me.......profusely.

These are my personal opinions only. Others may have different points of view.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM
nancyrt

Bissel Vacuum has always done well for me!