Frugal Mom Forums
Frugal Mom Forums » Frugal Living » Gift Giving » gift card, cash or other

Gift Giving Share your favorite homemade gifts!

Welcome to the Frugal Mom Forums.

We are very proud of our community - our members are friendly, the boards are filled with great frugal tips, we love helping others live frugally, and it is a terrific place to make new friends. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join us today - you will be warmly welcomed!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM
lovelit

Question gift card, cash or other

Every year we have at least two, if not more, grads to buy for because my husband has taught bible studies and mentored youth for many years now......what I'd like to know from you all is: Is it better to give cash or gift cards? Or maybe something more personal? My kids are 10 and 13, and I'm not sure what today's grads are interested in having for a gift. I have a limited amount of time to take care of this, so any hints will be welcome!

One of the grads is the son of my old college roommate, that I still keep in touch with. His gift will need to be mailed. Thanks in advance

Jill
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM
prmom

Our church gives all the HS graduates the book A Purpose Driven Life. I am attending a party this Sunday for a college graduate and I am giving money... most of the people who have called to RSVP for my DD's party have asked if she could use money. If its a student who will be traveling a lot gas cards are always good or a Walmart or Target gift card would work too.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
sunshine

I'd do cash over gift cards. . . . My personal favorite is to write a check in the amount of the year. . . so this year's grads are getting a check for $20.10

Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
crazymom4

I always send cash because the grad could use it towards college books or gas. Something that would be really special is giving them a bible with some inspirational thoughts from you and your hubby along with the money gift.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
lovelit

Thanks so much, ladies, those are great ideas. I think cash or gas cards are the way to go; I love the idea of an inspirational verse; maybe write it out on their card, and dh can add his bit as to what makes that child special.