Frugal Mom Forums
Frugal Mom Forums » Frugal Living » Frugal Tips » So how are you saving $ today....

Frugal Tips Share your favorite ways to save money!

Welcome to the Frugal Mom Forums.

We are very proud of our community - our members are friendly, the boards are filled with great frugal tips, we love helping others live frugally, and it is a terrific place to make new friends. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join us today - you will be warmly welcomed!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Tai

I made my own 'designer' coffee this morning. Mint mocha...mmmm

Filtered enough water to fill 2 more 2L bottles for the emergency stash.

Cubed homemade bread for stuffing

Started grocery list and CVS list- will get $225 worth of diapers, razors, food, and formula for about $25 out of pocket.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM
mommathea

We don't eat the ends of the loaf of bread so instead of throwing them away I have been collecting them in in the freezer. When the bag filled up I dried them in the oven - put them in after my batch of bread was done baking and let them dry out in the oven while it was still hot from baking but not turned on. Then I threw them in the blender and made breadcrumbs.
I filled a mason jar full of (free) breadcrubs.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM
purdyw63

try not to go to Walmart, too much tempation. Shop at Goodwill and Salvation Amry...most of time I can find really nice shirts, name brands that my husband likes..Cabela's, L.L. Bean, Woolrich and got him a 200.00 dollar Browning rain suit for 15.00. never know what we will find. If I will the need to shop that's where I head now instead of Big name stores.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
BB65

-Stayed at home today...saved gas.
-Leftovers for lunch for me and ds at home.
-DH took leftovers for his lunch.
-All lights off all day.
-Payed 2 bills on line instead of mailing.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Doodlebug

Packed lunches for DH and myself.
Straight home after picking up the kids from school.
Leftovers for me for dinner.
Lights off in the house until dark.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
purdyw63

Have been saving a lot by bringing my lunch to work and not going out. Try to put that extra $ on bills and pay some bills off.. Did manage to get my truck paid off this month and will have new central unit on the house paid off by the end of month... BIG PLUS for us
Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM
BB65

-Stayed home in between routes...saved gas.
-lunch at home.
-dh took leftovers to work for lunch.
-will have leftovers for dinner.
-all lights off during the day.

I really like this thread. It helps me to be mindful of what I can be doing to cut back. Somedays may be better than others but every little bit will help.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Doodlebug

We are eating at home
Lights off until darker
DH packed his dinner (he is working 4p-12a) He also packed a thermos of coffee to keep him warm

Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Purrkins24

leftovers for dinner, no AC today, lights out til dark, running the dishwasher tonight instead of during the day.

Loving Wife to Warren * Mom to David

Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
yodermia1

Heat is down low, eating from the veggies and fruits we put in the freezer last summer, buying from Azure standard our staples, selling off lots of books I don't read. Going to the library a lot. Avoiding the all in one grocery/clothing/household stores. Couponing like crazy. I also went to a frugal living presentation and got a recipe for homemade dryer sheets, way cheaper, and you don't have all the dryer sheets to throw away and wax to damage your clothes. We make homemade microwave popcorn. Oh and sticking to my budget!

I am new to this, so I am so glad to have the inspiration of all of the other posters!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 AM
purdyw63

Saved a bundle of money. My washing machine decided not to work in the middle of a load of blankets...fun-fun.
My son and I started checking what could be wrong and figured out it was the waterpump. By this time my husband was home, he and my son were able to take out the filter for the pump and it was full of change! Washer is working great and no repair bill!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 AM
prmom

Please share your recipe for homemade microwave popcorn and dryer sheets
Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
savvy_sniper

I am signed up a freebie group and got a code for a free Red Box movie that was good for today only. I called hubby and he stopped on the way home and got one.

The code is s39xkt. It is good until midnight (I think EST).

Mary
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 AM
fairygodmother

No lites on.
Heat off
use old newspaper to clean windows with.
use cut up towels to replace paper towels.
Eating from pantry.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Crochetqueen

Haven't used paper towel in about a month now. Cut up a shammie to use on spills. Turned heat down ( WI- still need it.)
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Ruby_D

I did some research on all these "green" cleaners. These prices are from Wal-Mart in PA.

Green Works by Clorox - All Purpose Cleaner - 32 oz.. - $2.50 THAT'S ABOUT 8 cents per ounce

Essentials by Arm & Hammer - All Purpose Cleaner - 64 oz. - $3.76 THAT'S ABOUT 6 cents per ounce

Nature's Source by S.C. Johnson - Glass Cleaner or bathroom cleaner - 26 oz. for $2.97 - THAT'S 12 cents per oz.

Basic H - environmentally safe all purpose cleaner - (super concentrated) 64 oz. bottle makes 32 GALLONS of Industrial Strength Cleaner) - $37.25 - THAT'S 2 cents per oz.)

* (with this option there is also much less trash because you re-use the same bottle over and over. Plus, this cleaner is so safe it is completely non-toxic)
Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Mrs. Cleaver

Arrow I save money by...

sweeping the floor instead of vaccuming like my hubby
unplug the toster, can opener, and other counter top applinces
turn off the computer when not in use
only use my banks ATMs
shop on clearnce rack
if I using the oven, I'll use it for other things (ie. I'm making bread, then I might make cookies, a cake, more bread, or even make chips)
take Navy shower 3 days a week (a 3 minute shower)
save leftover popcorn - next day toss it with podwer cheese and pop in microwave for 30 sec. good as fresh cheese popcorn
save leftover veggies that are 2 cups or less in the freeze for making freezer soup
have only 1 TV in the house
trade kid clothes with families that have kids 1-2 older/younger then mine (free clothes)
grow a garden
home can produce that is a great buy (I got 25 lb of carrots for 3.99, I canned it and got about 35 quarts. 35 dinner sides for about .11 a meal. )
hang clothes on the line
wash in cold water
COUPONS! COUPONS! COUPONS!

And best way to save money is to......

Use it up, wear it out, deal with it or do without.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM
nbp2452

Talking dog food, litter and shoes oh my!

Yeah, quite the combonation when I went to wal mart. My dog is diabetic, the science diet dog food is sooo high, almost $2.00 per can, luckily, he is a small chahuahua type and only eats 1 can per day. I called the vet and explained while I want the best for him, is there another type thats a little cheaper I can get for him. He suggested purina one, which is half what the other stuff was. Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to change him to the cheaper stuff.......he loves his canned science diet, or the dry, he has a hard time with that, cause he has just a few teeth. So I bought the bag of science diet, put it into a reusable container, added half broth, ( made from a low fat, low sodium, boulion cube, saving $$ ) half water to cover, let it stand till the dry became soaked with the solution. Smushed it up, he loves it. The dry is half what I was paying for the canned, plus I am saving tin, or aluminum, or whatever.......what would have cost me $40.00, for 2 weeks, cost me $12.00, and will probably last him 3 weeks to a month. Thats $56.00 saved for the month,......I will see how he does this weekend......
The cat litter is for covering all those books I got from the lady who smoked, ugh!! The library told be they do that for smelly books, just bury them in cat litter, in a container with a tight fitting lid, leave for a while and the smell goes away. I used the bag it came in to get the trash outta my car, making the most of everything I bought.
The flip flops I found at wal mart are a nice quality type, similiar to what I had seen at a department store, for $5.00, they are " OP " brand, came with a small bit of elastic tied onto them, I untied it and used it in place of some for my dolls clothes, I would have had to purchase, and the hanger thingy they came on, is very sturdy and will hold 2 bras to dry in the bathroom overnight. I was determined to not throw anything away.
I lost 12 pounds in october
I lost 8 pounds in november
I lost 6 pounds in december...
I lost 4 pounds in jan....
I lost 6 pounds in Feb.....
I lost 5 pounds in March....
I lost 2 pounds in April....
total lost 43 pounds !!! :
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM
fairygodmother

Hang laundry outside and going yard saleing!!!!!!!!!!!!