Frugal Mom Forums

Preschoolers Playground A place for moms of preschoolers to find encouragement from other moms, fun activities to do at home, and ideas for giving your preschool aged kids a head start on school.

Welcome to the Frugal Mom Forums.

We are very proud of our community - our members are friendly, the boards are filled with great frugal tips, we love helping others live frugally, and it is a terrific place to make new friends. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join us today - you will be warmly welcomed!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
sweetie peeps

Default Need a little help

Gracie is doing great but on her letters she still misses a few so I was wondering if there were some "fun" things we could do to help with letters? We use flash cards, play go fish and she is always wanting to write but I thought maybe there was something else we could do.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM
okgoatgal

Send a message via Yahoo to okgoatgal

bingo with letters instead of numbers. you know....

put the letters on a card (there'll only be 24 letters, not 26, so you'll have several cards ) like a bingo card, draw the letters (i'd use magnet alphabet letters or something similar) and have her find them. if you laminate, she can mark it off with a dry erase marker and reuse.

when i call on Jesus, all things are possible.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 AM
prmom

A trick my friend the Kindgergarten teacher uses it to label things in the room. Like putting a card on the chair saying CHAIR.. same with DOOR... RADIO ect...and she has the kids say the letters and guess the word when they go around the room. She normally keeps the labels up the first half of the school year and by then most of the kids have learned their letters well and are reading. Be patient.. she is young yet and it will come to her. You are doing such a great job!!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 AM
sweetie peeps

Those are great ideas Thanks! I just want to make learning as fun as I can but I seem to run dry sometimes

Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 AM
marabeth

great suggestions! Does Gracie understand that the letters stand for a sound? You could also point out words on signs (*see the S on the stop sign- it says "sss" for stop*) and even point out words when you read a story -say the story is about a duck- point out the word duck and how it starts with the "D" sound- then she'll understand how letters and sounds form words you read.
another fun thing- put shaving cream on a cookie sheet and have her make letters with her finger, or write letters on pieces of sandpaper and have her trace with a crayon (kids love the texture!)
Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Candace

Send a message via MSN to Candace

I have little square cards that have the letters on them (you could easily make a set) and we do all kinds of games with them. We play memory game where Matt matches the letters, we also play a game where I'll put out 3 letters: C A T then I'll take away the C and put a S. We'll sound that out and then substitute another letter. He really loves doing that. You can also play a hide and seek game with the letters where you hide one of them and when she finds it has to say the name of the letter...I am always amazed at how much Matt enjoys the silliest of games. They are games that I just make up on the fly using those cards!

I also have a labeler and he loves pressing the letters to spell out words I need - that has been a great way for him to learn his upper case letters.

Matt loves this website: http://www.starfall.com/n/level-k/index/load.htm?f

Contact me on Facebook or by
email

Visit the new Frugal Mom Blog!

Work at home, homeschooling mom to 5 boys!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 PM
sweetie peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by marabeth View Post
great suggestions! Does Gracie understand that the letters stand for a sound? You could also point out words on signs (*see the S on the stop sign- it says "sss" for stop*) and even point out words when you read a story -say the story is about a duck- point out the word duck and how it starts with the "D" sound- then she'll understand how letters and sounds form words you read.
another fun thing- put shaving cream on a cookie sheet and have her make letters with her finger, or write letters on pieces of sandpaper and have her trace with a crayon (kids love the texture!)
Yes she does understand that and she loves for me to sound words out. She would love the sandpaper thing

Candace thanks for the link

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Deb

Lexi and I spell everything. I also do a lot of "what letter does this word start with?" and then we'll go back and forth with several more words that start with the same letter. Sometimes I ask her to tell me some words that start with a certain letter. When we do that, I like to give her the sound as well.

A Magna-Doodle is great for practicing writing, too.

Momma to Alexia and Ella
Livin' and Lovin' Life in the Land of Oz

Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Tammy

Staying with the texture concept....in addition to the shaving cream & sandpaper, we also kept a tupperware container (like a sandwich keeper) with salt in it to trace out the letters. It gave a different texture than the smooth shaving cream.

Saved this month: $12.75
Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 PM
bippy

I like to make letters out of glass beads. Keeps me from getting too bored. Or use flour on the table and draw letters in that.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Twill

We have a huge wooden puzzle that I used for Mr Busy ~ the girls got their letters down pretty easily, but not him.

He went to school without knowing them all...and without being able to spell his whole name. You know what? When I was helping the Yr 1's in his classroom (he's in a composite) this morning he was doing fantastic work. He was having a go at the harder words and getting them right or almost right ~ just like ALL the other kids. His teacher spends 3 terms with the Preps (kinder) teaching them their letters, bot names and sounds.

They'll get it...don't worry about it, just keep plugging. If she doesn't have it by the time she starts school, that ok. That's what schools are for!

"Exalt the Lord our God and woship at his holy moutain,
for the Lord our God is holy".
Psalm 99:9
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 PM
sweetie peeps

Well she has them down now and is really enjoying the different things we are doing with letters. I love watching her learn
Thanks everybody for the tips!!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Lisa

Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I'm glad she is enjoying the activities!!

Mom to three handsome boys and one beautiful girl. Wife to an inspiration.

How do we change the world?
By performing one act of random kindness at a time.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 PM
fullhandswith3

Default Letter Ideas

We use the free Preschool Bible Curriculum at
www.abcjesuslovesme.com

Here is a link to list of ideas that are used throughout the curriculum:

http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/letters-a-numbers.html

Hope you can gain some new ideas from here.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:07 PM
proudmommy

I see this was posted last year but, I'm still going to tell you this! lol My idea is not a frugal one, I love the other ideas they are stuff we did in day care!! The kids love it and it helped them to learn their letters and to read. We had the two year olds recognizing their own names. Anyway I bought my daughter this and she loves it and has learned so much from it I swear by it. I'm looking at it and not sure what it is called it says Little leaps, leap frog baby. It hooks up to work with your dvd player it is real simple to do and easy for the littlest one to do it Joy could even work it. But, it has all differnet kinds of games you can get with it it teaches letters, shapes, numbers, sounds etc. I am not sure what all cause I don't have all the games for it yet. I try to add at christmas and birthdays. My daughter loves it she loves she can make them do things all by herself by hitting a button and she learns with it. I also got her her own computer and she loves that as well. She thinks she is hot stuff having her own laptop. lol It's called fun2learn and it teaches letters and phonics. Her favorite words from it is um excuse me. Cause if she ignores it, it will say that. lol She has learned alot from it too. She just got them not to long ago so she doesn't know her letters yet but, she is learning. I'm glad Gracie is doing good. It's fun teaching them things you get so proud cause you taught it to them.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
fullhandswith3

Default Web address Update

Here is a web address update for the ABC Jesus Loves Me ideas for letter activities. The old address doesn't work any longer!

http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/index...bers&Itemid=63
Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Mrs. Cleaver

Default A TV Show

My kids are 4 and 5. I found a TV Show that they love and I am happy that they have. WORD WORLD is the name of the show. My kids love it so much that I have set it on my Tivo. This show helps kids learn about the letters and how to spell. All the things in the show are made of the word that it is.
ie. frog = the frog is the word, and things like house, cave, swing, train, pie, etc.
It also teaches the diffrent sounds that the letters make and the changes of a word like what happens when you put a "s" at the end of a word. There are a lot of things that this show teaches. Check you listings for the show.
www.pbskids.org/wordworld is the web site. I hope this helps.

Use it up, wear it out, deal with it or do without.