Frugal Mom Forums
Frugal Mom Forums » Frugal Living » Mom's Talk » Stockpile Challenge........

Mom's Talk This is our most popular board where you can talk about almost anything! Come on in and talk about your kids, your family, great ideas, personal news, etc.

Welcome to the Frugal Mom Forums.

We are very proud of our community - our members are friendly, the boards are filled with great frugal tips, we love helping others live frugally, and it is a terrific place to make new friends. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join us today - you will be warmly welcomed!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Luv2Read

Default Stockpile Challenge........

Anyone interested in a stockpile challenge....here's the thread! This is NOT a challenge between members. It's just for each of us to challenge ourselves to get our stockpiles built up. Each person does this differently. Some might want only food, some might do only HBA. Some might want to go for a year's worth, some for a month.

If you want to join please post what you want to stockpile and for how many weeks/months. Then each time you add to your stockpile you come back and post under this thread!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Luv2Read

Default Grocery Challenge.......

Anyone want to participate in a grocery challenge for 2010? I thought we could post what we bought and how much we spent each time we go to the store(like Nikki and I did below) and then keep up with a tally each month. Then maybe others can post suggestions and we can see if we can bring it down each month?

Or you could post a total that you want to spend each month and then see if you stay on track or even better, come in under your goal!

Post here if you want to join and then each time you shop/at the end of the month(however you want to do it) you can update under this thread!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Luv2Read

I'm aiming for 400.00 a month. That will include all food for four us(me, dh, dd(17) and ds(13). Also food for 2 dogs, 2 rabbits and a cat and the outdoor birds. It will also include HBA, paper products and cleaning supplies.

Wow not sure I can do it all on 400.00 a month, especially if prices go up but I'm going to try!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
crazymom4

Sounds like alot of fun! I will do it and start with next Friday's groceries, since it will be the beginning of the month. I will try and stay below $500 for month, since I have to buy hog, chicken, dog and cat feed. I will be buying for 6 (hubby, myself, Ds1 (14), Ds2 (14), Dd1 (11) and Dds (3).

Last edited by crazymom4; 12-31-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Luv2Read

I'm going to start this by doing an inventory of what I have on hand both in the freezer and my shelf stable stuff. I will do this next week and post what I have.

Then I want to make a list of everything I need and how many for at least 6 months. That will be my first goal.......a 6 month stockpile!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
crazymom4

I will try this also, since the sale's flyers for next week look like alot of great buys!

I want to stock up on pantry items (canned goods, spaghetti sauces, ketchup, salad dressings, flour, salt, sugars, yeast, canned fruit, soups, ect. I would also like to stock up on HBA (toliet paper, paper towels, deodorants, shampoo, toothpaste, maxi pads, cleaning products, ect.) I also need to stock up on my clorox and get a few bottles of the cheaper laundry detergent (I add a small amount to my homemade to give it a more fresher scent). Believe it or not, I always try to pick up a few boxes of canning flats and the seasoning packs that I need for canning season, every time we have extra money. The gardening season will be upon me and then canning season and I don't want that expense all at once.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:43 PM
crazymom4

I also forgot to mention that hubby told me that he would help me clean out our laundry room over the weekend. I have a set of metal shelves in there that is going to be where I put my stockpile stuff. That is going to be a huge help to me, because I don't have a whole lot of space in the house with 4 kids. We are about to explode with their stuff as it is. LOL!

I also plan on getting alot of our HBA things stocked up when taxes come back, which will probably be in March.

Last edited by crazymom4; 12-31-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Doodlebug

I buget $500.00 per month for 3 of us. That includes household needs, HBA and pets. I pack my lunch everyday so that is for 3 meals a day for DS and myself. DH hardly ever eats lunch.

**** I budget 250.00 each time I shop which is twice a month. I usually spend about $200.00 or less. I just like to know that I "can" spend that much in case I come upon some good deals or need to stock up. I usually start stocking up on pools chemicals and household stuff now so that when I am home all summer and not getting paid I don't have to worry about running out of stuff.

I just did a shop today(that will take us through to 1/15) and spent $202.00 and that included a $20.00 lamp for DSs room and quite a bit of meat and some vechile maintenance stuff DH needed. I had $18.00 off in coupons. I will have to go back and get milk and fruit later, in about a week.

It also helps that DH, DS and my FIL hunt so I get venison from free. We grind our own. I inventoried the freezer and it looks like I have enough meat to cook 57 meals--not including what we will have in leftovers. I was pretty excited about that.

Last edited by Doodlebug; 12-31-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Luv2Read

Ok here is the list of what I'd like to have in stock for six months. I hope there is no limit to how much I can post because it's LONG!

Corn - 78 cans
Green beans - 78 cans
Peas- 26 cans
Diced tomatoes - 20 cans
Tomato Juice - 3 cans
tomato paste - 5 cans
tomato sauce- 6 cans
pork and beans - 20 cans
kidney beans - 40 cans
manwich - 5 cans
cream of chicken soup - 5
cream of mushroom soup - 25
chicken noodle soup - 5
canned vegetable soup - 4
tomato soup - 25
ravioli- 10
beefaroni - 10
spaghetti or spaghetti o's - 10
spaghetti sauce- 15
ketchup -15
mustard - 4
Miracle Whip - 5
kraft mayo- 3
jelly - 3
Ranch dressing - 10
fat free french dressing - 3
kraft tangy tomato bacon dressing - 2
Canned pumpkin - 10
peaches- 15 cans
pears - 15 cans
pineapple - 15 cans
applesauce - 8 large jars
butter beans - 8 cans
peanut butter - 20 jars
100% apple juice or sunny d - 20
kool aid packs - 25
tea bags - 3 boxes of 100
bbq sauce - 6 bottles
canned milk-12 cans
powdered milk - 1 large box
sweetened condensed milk - 5
pizza sauce - 5
mushrooms - 10 cans
dill pickles - 2 jars
pancake syrup - 6 bottles
veggie oil - 3 bottles
cooking spray - 5 cans
canned potatoes - 8 cans
shortening - 3
salsa - 4 jars
tuna - 12 cans
Treet - 10 cans
chicken - 10 cans
deviled ham - 10 cans
Beef Pasta Hamburger Helper - 6
Strognaoff Hamburger Helper - 6
Cheeseburger Macaroni HH - 6
macaroni - 6 pounds
spaghetti - 10 pounds
lasagna noodles - 3 boxes
Instant mashed potatoes - 1 box
Au gratin potatoes - 5 boxes
Scalloped potatoes - 5 boxes
cake mixes - 10
chicken rice a roni - 8
beef rice a roni - 8
mac and cheese - 10
brown sugar - 3 pounds
white sugar - 30 pounds
all purpose flour - 38 pounds
self rising flour - 15 pounds
salt - 15 boxes
baking soda - 3 boxes
baking powder - 1 container
chili powder - 3
garlic powder - 3
onion powder - 3
vanilla - 3 bottles
pepper - 1
frostings- 4
saltine crackers - 6 boxes
Ritz crackers - 6 boxes
Cheezit crackers - 10
microwave popcorn - 5 boxes
chips(pringles or staxx) 10
Dry pinto beans - 10 pounds
Dry navy beans - 10 pounds
taco seasoning packs - 6
pancake mix - 3 boxes
powdered sugar - 3 pounds
chocolate chips - 6 bags
oatmeal - 3 containers quick oats
raisins - 2 boxes
margarine - 10 pounds
deodorants - 20
shampoo - 12
conditioner - 2
bar soap - 15
body wash - 15
toothpaste - 12
toothbrushes - 12
razors - 25
Toilet paper - 180 rolls
tissues - 10 boxes
maxi pads - 8 boxes
bandaids - 4 boxes
alcohol - 1 bottle
peroxide - 1 bottle
cold meds - 6 boxes
advil - 7 bottles
tylenol - 6 bottles
mousse - 4
hair spray - 3
chapsticks - 5
benadryl - 3 bottles
immodium - 2 bottles
comet - 4
laundry detergent - 4 big bottles
dryer sheets - 3 boxes
dish soap - 6 bottles
dishwasher tabs - 400
ammonia - 1 bottle
bleach - 1 bottle (only use for cleaning after sick people)
paper towels - 20 rolls
trash bags - 6 boxes
charcoal - 3 bags
lampoil - 3 bottles
light bulbs - 3 packs
gallon ziplocs - 12 boxes
sandwich ziplocs - 12 boxes

This is mostly all off brand stuff and based on what I think we use every six months. There are other things I will be adding like paper plates and disposable cups and silverware, batteries, etc. but I'm not sure how much I will need/add. I will also add snack type things like cereal, granola bars, etc.

I know that this will need some tweeking as I go along and see what we are using up. We will be eating from this stockpile each day and I will replace it as things go on sale. I next need to do an inventory to see how much I have and what I need to focus on buying first. For example I used my last three cans of tomato soup tonight and opened my last jar of garlic powder so I need to get those ASAP!

This is mostly based on things we use on a regular basis and that I can make meals from. It also includes a few things that we don't normally use but I want to have on hand in case something major happens and we do need to hunker down here for a while. Things like canned potatoes, instant mashed potatoes, canned chicken,etc. I also have meats in the freezer and will continue to buy them and freeze but I don't want to depend on that for emergency stockpile. We could run out or lose it all in a major power outage. That is why I like the canned meats and the beans!

Last edited by Luv2Read; 12-31-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Doodlebug

That is awesome!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Luv2Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
That is awesome!
I'm anxious to see how long it takes me to get it built up to that without busting the grocery budget!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 PM
momma2girls

Wow that is a good list.
I'm thinking about trying it but haven't figured out where I will put everything.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Mark's Mom

WOW! That is a lot of stuff- good for you!

I love reading what other people purchase, and compare it to what we eat. I'm laughing becuase some of the things you have for 6 months we couldn't eat in 3 years, and other stuff you list would only take us a week or two to consume. I would die with only two boxes of raisins!!!

I told my DH about this thread, and he thinks it's a great idea. So, thanks for the inspiration, and good luck!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Mark's Mom

I forgot to add that you were super smart stocking up on toothpaste and TP. I bought TP the other day and boy oh boy have prices gone way up on that! I was telling my DH, and he said he would watch the sales for it, so we could stock up as well.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Luv2Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's Mom View Post
I forgot to add that you were super smart stocking up on toothpaste and TP. I bought TP the other day and boy oh boy have prices gone way up on that! I was telling my DH, and he said he would watch the sales for it, so we could stock up as well.
That list is what I hope to have for a six month supply, not what I have yet! I am really anxious to see if I can get that much without busting the budget and how long it takes me!

I have IBS so toilet paper is a big thing for me LOL. We use a ton here and one of my worst fears is us being stuck here in a blizzard and catching a stomach bug or something and running out of TP!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Luv2Read

Default Grocery tracking.....

Had to go out for a few things this morning......

2 packs boneless chicken breasts - 5.48

gallon 2% milk - 2.59

1 block cheddar cheese - 1.99

2 packs shredded cheese - 1.95 each

1 20oz mt dew - 1.39

1 pk bacon - 2.89

2 cans evaporated milk - 1.78

3 packs bun length hot dogs @ .69 each - 2.07

Something that says grocery for 2.00 can't think what it was

Total 24.85

Dollar General

2 pks light bulbs 2.00

bag of cat food - 2.50

2 Dasani waters 1.35 each

cheese danish 1.00

Total - 8.58

Total spent for January so far - 33.43

Some of this stuff was spur of the moment, which I HATE! I didn't plan anything special for dinner but dh and the kids thought we should have something. Went to get steaks but they were all so fatty that I was NOT buying them. So dd decided we should have fried chicken and crockpot mac and cheese! Will have to leave dh and kids home from now on!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Doodlebug

Sherri, will you post your recipe for crockpot mac and cheese. We love mac and cheese, I make Kraft if I am in a hurry (me least favorite but the guys like it), if i have time or for holidays, I make Paula Dean's mac and cheese, so this could be yet another alternative for me.

I COMPLETE understand about the toilet paper. I have IBS and DS has IBS and a spastic colon (has to take medication for it). We NEVER want to run out of tp here! LOL
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Luv2Read

I deleted this one because my power went out in the middle and it posted twice....sorry!

Last edited by Luv2Read; 01-01-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Luv2Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
Sherri, will you post your recipe for crockpot mac and cheese. We love mac and cheese, I make Kraft if I am in a hurry (me least favorite but the guys like it), if i have time or for holidays, I make Paula Dean's mac and cheese, so this could be yet another alternative for me.

I COMPLETE understand about the toilet paper. I have IBS and DS has IBS and a spastic colon (has to take medication for it). We NEVER want to run out of tp here! LOL
Here ya go!

8oz macaroni, cooked and drained
3 eggs, beaten slightly
1 can evaporated milk
1 stick margarine, melted
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In crockpot mix macaroni, eggs, butter, milk and two cups of the cheese. Stir to mix well. Top with one cup of cheese. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. You can double this. My crockpot cooks hotter than it probably should so I add more milk about halfway through to keep it from sticking.

Oh, and I just counted and I have 74 double rolls of TP equal to 148 rolls LOL. That doesn't include what might be in the camper and the roll in each vehicle!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Doodlebug

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it.