Here’s a booklet I made years ago to help my kids learn their multiplication tables.
It’s easy to put together
- Print the booklet.
- Cut the pages in half.
- Staple the pages together like a book
- Give your child the booklet and explain he’ll be using it this year to learn his multiplication tables.
- Open to the 2’s page and with him watching, fill in the first 2 columns for you child to get him started (1 x 2, 2 x 2 etc.).
- Let him fill in the answers to all of the problems on the 2’s page.
- Explain that he’ll be using the booklet each day to memorize his multiplication tables. When he can successfully get each problem on the page correct, he may go on to the next page.
- When he can successfully say all the problems on the page when you quiz him (and quiz him out of order!), then put a gold star at the top of the page. He can then go to the next page. Another tip – make sure that he is able to give you the answer very quickly without thinking about it. Don’t allow him to say the entire problem to you because that is extra think time he is using.
- Set up a reward for when the booklet is memorized – maybe a trip out for ice cream.
Want to discuss homeschooling? Join us in our forum – we have a board just for homeschooling!