Hot New Dorm Room Decorating Ideas
Decorating your dorm room can seem like daunting task when your budget is tight and your space is limited. Here are some hot ideas for decking out the dorm, without breaking the bank!
- Pick a theme. This can be something you love, such as butterflies or football, or just a simple favorite color scheme. Having a plan can help you find low budget touches to your room while keeping it pulled together.
- Use bright colors on the bedding. This isn’t just a place where you sleep, its where you live, so let your personality show through! Bring the bright colors through to the window as well!
- Push your bed against the wall, add some big pillows along the back, and turn your bed into a daybed/couch for you and your friends to hang out on, or study.
- Use sturdy cardboard boxes for end tables. Just cover them with batting or an old blanket, some fabric, and duct tape it to the bottom of the box. Instant place to put up your feet or serve pizza!
- Pick up picture frames at the dollar shop and a can of bright spray paint. Paint all the picture frames fun colors that fit with your scheme. Then fill them with pics of family and friends back home, calendar shots of places you want to visit, or print out inspirational quotes from the computer and frame them!
- Pick up baskets at the dollar store to store your toiletries, makeup or study aids, and they will be kept neat, attractive, and can be carried along to wherever you need them!
- Get some craft foam sheets in bright colors from the craft store, and cut them into cool shapes. (They cost just a few cents, look like thick foam construction paper, and cut smoothly with ordinary scissors.) Hearts, stars, initials, or letters and numbers to make words. Use poster putty or tape to attach them to the walls to add color, charm, and personality!
- Pick up some cheap vases and fill with pebbles. They make great pencil and pen holders, and double as a terrific book end to keep all your shelves and desks in order, so you can always find the right book for your next class!
- Use pretty fabric draped over the window, throw pillows for comfort and color, and accessories that can be found at discount and dollar shops to make your home away from home an expression of your creative side, without spending a fortune!
Remember, your dorm room is an expression of yourself, and you want to make it comfortable for you and your friends. Spend some time creating your first place based on your likes and wants, and you will learn skills that will carry with you into the future…for your first home!
Photo Credit: Jonsson
Kathy Wilson is an author, columnist, and editor of The Budget Decorator. For thousands of free budget home decorating ideas visit her at http://www.TheBudgetDecorator.com. For free budget gardening ideas also visit her at http://www.TheGardenGlove.com For free ideas for women learning to make money on the internet, visit Kathy at http://www.women-on-the-net.com.