One of the best things about going to a Labor Day picnic (aside from spending time with friends!) is getting to taste the delicious dishes everyone brings. And this year was no exception. I happen to have friends who are amazing cooks and I they never cease to amaze me with their cooking. I happen to be in a non-meat eating phase so I spent a lot of time yesterday with the salads, veggies, and desserts. One of my favorite dishes was the Broccoli Salad my friend Alice brought. It was so good and had to share it with you. Bring this to your next picnic and you will be a rock star just like Alice. Here’s the recipe:
Broccoli Salad (8 servings)
- 2 heads of fresh broccoli separated into florets
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup peanuts
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until bacon is crispy. Drain on a paper towel then crumble.
- Dice the onion then rinse the onion off with cold water and pat dry. (Rinsing the onion will help remove the strong onion flavor leaving you with more of a sweet onion flavor.)
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli, bacon, onion, raisins, and peanuts.
- To make the dressing, in small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar and the vinegar.
- Mix the dressing in with the broccoli salad and refrigerate.
Make it your own: Try adding cheddar cheese or mandarin oranges to the salad or substituting cashews or almonds for the peanuts.
Once the salad is chilled, serve and enjoy!