This recipe is a variation of the one that is in my cookbook, The Everything Freezer Meals Cookbook. It is a delicious recipe that is easy to make and one that is a favorite of my k ids.
- 3 pounds fresh tomatillos (you can substitute 3 cans of tomatillos)
- 3 pounds cubed chicken, uncooked
- 2 cans Rotel tomatoes (if you don’t have Rotel tomatoes, substitute 1 can of chopped tomatoes and 1 can diced green chilis)
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Flour tortillas
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Sour cream
- Preheat your broiler.
- To prepare the tomatillos for roasting, peel off the papery husk and rinse the tomatillos under water.
- Place the tomatillos on a baking sheet and put under the preheated broiler. Turn the tomatillos as needed until they are charred on all sides. Do not remove the skins – the charred skins add a wonderful flavor to the dish.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the chicken in the oil until the chicken is fully cooked. Near the end of the cooking time, add the diced onion.
- Put the tomatillos in a food processor and pulse 2 – 3 times.
- Add the tomatillos and Rotel tomatoes to the skillet.
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Spoon the Chicken Verde onto a flour tortilla.
- Top with cheddar cheese and sour cream, and roll into a burrito.