If you are looking for a delicious egg casserole recipe, I have a treat for you. This is a recipe that I’ve been working on for years, and it is finally to the place where I can say DONE! How often does that happen. 🙂 This is my husband’s absolutely favorite meal, and that says a lot. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. So for him to ask for an egg casserole recipe, well that says something, right?
On to the egg casserole recipe…
- 18 eggs
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk (this is the ingredient that really makes the recipe)
- 4- 15oz. cans whole potatoes (you can also use frozen hash brown potatoes, but you’ll want to brown them in the oven before putting them in the casserole)
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle seasoning (you can substitute any other spicy seasoning)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (if you love garlic, go for 1/2 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
The beauty of this egg casserole recipe is you can make it with whatever ingredients you have on hand. As long as the base ingredients stay the same, you can add any of the following (or whatever you have on hand) to make a unique casserole.
Here are some combinations that I’ve made:
- Ham & Cheese (1 cup diced ham and 1-2 cups Swiss cheese)
- Sausage & Cheese (1 cup crumbled cooked sausage and 1-2 cups cheddar cheese)
- Feta & Spinach (1 package frozen spinach completely drained and 1 cup feta cheese)
Other add on ideas:
- Tomato & Cheddar
- Bacon and Leftover Veggies
- Bacon and Swiss
- Zucchini & Mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the potatoes and add them to the casserole dish as the first layer.
- Top potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Put the casserole dish in the oven while you are preparing the remaining ingredients. This helps a lot with the flavor of the potatoes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and remaining spices.
- Remove casserole dish from oven.
- On top of the potatoes, layer whatever add-on ingredients you are using. If cheese is one of your ingredients, reserve about 1/4 cup for the top of the casserole.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of all of the layers.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake approximately 40 – 45 minutes until the egg has set. A knife inserted into the casserole dish should come out clean.
I hope you enjoy this egg casserole recipe!