Ordering pizza from the local delivery place is a convenient dinner solution for those nights when I have nothing to fix, but it is so expensive. I have 5 boys and a husband, and for everyone to get enough food we order 4 pizzas. The bill easily comes to $50.00, and honestly it isn’t worth it. The solution? Homemade pizza!
The next time your family is in the mood for pizza, make it yourself. Not only will you save a lot of money, but your kids will love helping out in the kitchen! The ingredients are simple and ones you can keep on hand. So the next time you forget to take something out of the freezer for dinner, make it a pizza night.
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 (.25 ounce) package yeast
- 2 1/2 – 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup water until the water is foamy at the top – about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the water with yeast, 2 1/2 cups flour, oil, sugar, and salt.
- Mix until a stiff dough forms. Add additional flour if needed.
- Rub a small amount of oil around the ball of dough, put it in a bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until it has doubled in size. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and shape to fit pizza pan.
Top your pizza with pizza sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 – 25 minutes until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese has melted.