Making your own herbal vinegar is very easy, and the flavors you create can be used to spice up marinades, sauces, salad dressings, or anywhere you want to add extra flavor. Try combining white-wine vinegar with tarragon, or thyme, or red-wine vinegar with sweet basil, dill, or mint. Experiment with different types of vinegars and combinations of herbs to come up with your own special blend!
What you need:
- 1 – 2 cups fresh herbs (washed and patted dry to remove any trace of water)
- 4 cups vinegar (wine based vinegars work well)
- glass jar(s) with lid(s)
- plastic wrap
- coffee filters
- decorative bottle(s) with cap(s)
- additional sprigs of fresh herbs
- Tear 1 – 2 cups of herbs into pieces and put in the bottom of a sterilized glass jar.
- Heat vinegar in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Pour vinegar over the herbs.
- Cover the top of the jar with a piece of plastic wrap, then screw on lid.
- Put jar in a dark location for 3 – 5 weeks.
- Strain the vinegar through a coffee filter to remove pieces of herbs.
- Pour vinegar into a decorative bottle and add a few sprigs of fresh herbs.