If you are looking for a hearty soup, this is a great choice. Serve this soup with a variety of toppings, just like a taco! Cheddar cheese, sour cream, jalapeno peppers, and tortilla chips are taste delicious paired with this soup!
Portion Control Options for Soup
You can make a big batch and serve it to your whole family, or you can divide it into smaller freezer portions. To make smaller portions, line your favorite microwavable soup mug with a quart-sized freezer bag. Pour the soup into the lined mug and flash freeze. Once the soup is frozen, lift the bag of soup form the mug, and return the soup to the freezer. Now you have a perfectly shaped portion of soup that can go from the freezer straight to your mug. To heat, defrost, microwave, and serve soup in the same cup!
This recipe, Taco Soup for the Freezer, can be found in my cookbook The Everything Freezer Meals Cookbook.
Taco Soup for the Freezer
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, with liquid
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cands diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco mix
- 1 (1-ounce) package dry ranch dressing mix
- Brown ground beef in skillet. Drain.
- Add beef and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 7 hours. (As an alternative, you can use a large stock pot and cook on the stove top.)
- You can serve this immediately or freeze it.
- To freeze, cool and freeze in a freezer bag.
Defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Heat over medium for 15 – 20 minutes or until desired temperature is reached, and serve.